You’ve been through the classes. You’ve filled out reams of paperwork. And now your adoption agency just provided you with a long list of medical conditions to consider for your future adoptive child. While you want to think you are open to any child, you’re not sure what the future might look like for a child with a heart condition, history of mental illness in the biological family, or prenatal substance exposure. And even with your exhaustive research via “Dr. Google,” you’re likely still unsure what some of the diagnoses mean, such as hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE). And if you have other children, what potential impact could this future child’s medical health have on them? Just looking at the form from your agency social worker, you’re likely feeling overwhelmed and not sure how to proceed. The good news is that this is not uncommon. And even better news - there are resources available that can help! One of the services the AMC provides is called a preadoption consultation for any family or individual planning to adopt.
What Is the Preadoption Consultation?
Schedule a Preadoption Consultation:
The preadoption consultation costs $300 for a full hour session with Dr. Eckerle.
- Pay the Preadoption Consultation fee
- Create a profile or log into the system
- Click on "Additional Services"
- Select "Preadoption Consult"
- Fill out the form.
- In “Additional Information” please add the country you are adopting from and the name and relationship to you of anyone who will be joining you for the consultation.please put the adoption country in Additional Information
- Select "Submit"
You will receive an email from IAC@umn.edu to schedule the preadoption consultation once both the fee and the form have been submitted.